Terri has focused her efforts as a legislator on issues of concern to the citizens of House District 20. These areas include transportation, protecting crime victims, extending the senior property tax exemption for medical relocation, human trafficking , data privacy, wildfire mitigation, criminal justice reform, reduced student testing, civics education, and regulatory reform. She is particularly proud that many of the bills she has carried come from issues raised by her constituents and local officials in El Paso County.
Terri currently serves on the Transportation and Local Government, Judiciary, and Wildfire Committees in the State House of Representatives.
Terri has participated in local coalitions to address domestic violence (Co-chair of Public Policy – No Excuse for Abuse Task Force), and opioid prevention and treatment.
Terri has served six years in the State Legislature and is known for her successful bipartisan legislation on a range of issues. Here are a few of her legislator awards:
- Elected Women of Excellence Award 2019 (National Federation of Women Legislators) – One of the two Colorado women legislators selected for the award
- Colorado Springs Military Spouse Coalition (June 2020) Award – Recognized for work on passage of military spouse occupational licensing reform – essential for Colorado to be selected as permanent site for US Space Command.
- Colorado United Veterans Coalition Legislator of the Year 2019
- Colorado Association of Realtors – Legislator Award 2018
- Colorado Fraternal Order of Police – Legislator Award 2018 (prime sponsor of bill to strengthen mental health services for police, and for mental health personnel to accompanying police in responding to incidents involving behavioral health issues)
Terri’s prior work experience includes:
- Air Force Reserves JAG (Lawyer) Colonel (retired)
- College instructor on energy development and environment; space law and policy
Prior community involvement:
- The Home Front Cares (provides assistance to veterans and their families – focus on veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan) 2012-2014
- Teacher Liaison, Space Foundation, 2005 – 2014.
- Chair, Colorado Springs Utilities Policy Advisory Committee, 2012 – July 2013. Member of UPAC 2009 – 2013.
- Member of the Colorado Springs Telecommunication Policy Advisory Committee, 1999 – 2005.